“How can anybody call this choice?”
That is the question that comes to my mind when I see a picture like this one:
As a Christian, I believe life begins at the moment of conception. I really wish Roe v. Wade were overturned. I know there are alternatives to abortion. And I also know there’s a lot of propaganda out there.
Many people believe that if abortion were illegal, many women would die. Pro abortion people will even show you some nicely designed graphics, arguing that the number of abortion-related deaths have seen a decline since 1973. Despite their claims, legalized abortion is not the reason less women died during or after the procedure. Medical advances, like antibiotics, and the ICU, produced a decline in the numbers of abortion-related deaths.
We can expect that there would be few maternal deaths if Roe v. Wade were overturned and state legislatures significantly restricted abortions.
Many people don’t know how an abortion is done, so here’s a brief explanation of the main techniques used to perform abortions:
- “Very early” abortion: After widening the cervix, the abortionist inserts into the uterus a long, flexible, suction tube which is attached to a vacuum syringe. Using ultrasound, the abortionist locates the embryo and applies suction to tear the developing baby from the uterine wall.
- Suction Aspiration/Vacuum Curettage: A powerful suction tube with a sharp cutting edge is inserted into the womb through the dilated cervix. The suction cuts into pieces the body of the developing baby and grabs the placenta from the wall of the uterus.
- D&C: The cervix is dilated to allow the insertion of a loop shaped steel knife. The baby and placenta are cut into pieces and both are removed. Bleeding is common.
- RU 486: The RU 486 procedure requires at least three trips to the abortion facility. During a first visit, the woman is given the RU 486 pills, which block the action of progesterone. Progesterone is a natural hormone which is needed to maintain the rich nutrient lining of the uterus. The developing baby starves. 36 hours or so later, the woman goes back to the abortion clinic, and is usually given a dose of misoprostol to induce uterine contractions. A third visit about 2 weeks later determines if the procedure was successful. If not, the woman must return for a surgical abortion.
- Methotrexate: This is a multi visit procedure. During a first visit, a woman is given an intramuscular injection of methotrexate. This drug is used to fight cancer. Methotrexate attacks the fast growing cells of the trophoblast, the tissue that will eventually develop to become the placenta. As that tissue breaks down, the baby dies because the necessary nutrients, oxygen and fluids are gone. A vaginal suppository, similar to misoprostol is given three to seven days later, and it provokes the expulsion of the little child from the woman’s uterus. Sometimes, a second vaginal suppository will be needed. Some women need surgical abortions.
- D&E: Forceps with sharp metal jaws are used to grasp parts of the developing baby, which are twisted and torn away. This is done until all of the body parts are removed. Sometimes, the skull must be compressed to facilitate removal. Nurses have to reassemble the body parts to be sure that all of them were removed.
- Instillation methods: After fluid is withdrawn, chemicals are injected into the amniotic sac to kill the baby and induce contractions. Saline poisons the child and burns the skin. It takes over an hour to kill the baby. Sometimes, chemicals (such as potassium chloride or digoxin) are injected directly in to the baby’s heart, causing cardiac arrest.
- Partial Birth Abortion: Banned by President Bush in 2003, the Supreme Court of the United States upheld the law in 2007. Since many people opposed this ban, I decided to include a brief description of the cruel technique. Guided by ultrasound, an abortionist reaches into the uterus, grabs the unborn baby’s leg with forceps and pulls the baby into the birth canal, except for the head, which is deliberately kept inside the womb. Then the abortionist punctures the base of the baby’s skull with long surgical scissors or some other instrument. He then enlarges the wound and inserts a tube which is connected to a suction machine that sucks the baby’s brain out.
Unborn babies do feel pain. They can even feel more pain that a born person. And did you know that an unborn kid has less protection from feeling pain than commercial livestock?
Abortion swept an entire generation. Do you think anybody (the government, a woman, an abortionist, etc) can make the decision of whether or not a child can live? I don’t think so. Only God can make such decision.
Do you see that baby on the picture to the right of these lines? He or she was aborted. Imagine who this baby could have been. Imagine what good things this poor baby could have done. But no, he was aborted.
That kid you see in that picture was just like you at that age. But your parents let you live, his or her parents didn’t let him or her live.
I’ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born
The baby’s development.
Conception: The egg and sperm create a new and unique human being.
5-9 days: Fertilized egg implants in the uterine wall.
21-25 days: The production of cells for blood is initiated in only eight or nine days; by about day 21 or 22, the primitive heart begins to twitch, and by about day 25, the heart gets into stride to beat regularly, never to stop in this lifetime.
30 days: The unborn child’s heart pumps blood through the circulatory system.
40 days: Brain waves are detected. All structures and organ foundations are present.
Two months: All organs and systems are present in the body, with several organs already functioning. The baby is sensitive to and responds to touch. All five major areas of the adult brain are present. The baby now has very distinctly human characteristics and is very active in uterus – sucking, kicking, swallowing and performing a variety of other movements.
Three months: The baby’s neck is well defined. The baby now sleeps, turns and moves, and opens and closes his/her mouth. The palm, when stroked, will make a tight fist. The baby breathes amniotic fluid to help develop his respiratory system.
Four months: The baby is now eight to ten inches long and weighs a half pound or more and his/her ears now function.
Five months: The head is now visible. The baby will develop a startle reaction to loud, sudden noises. He/she can suck a thumb or fingers and stroke parts of his/her own body, the amniotic wall or the umbilical cord. The sex of the child can be clearly determined.
Six months: The baby’s body is lean, fingernails are present. In the next one to two weeks, the eyes will partially, and then completely, open.
Seven months: The baby now uses the four senses of vision, hearing, taste, and touch. He/she can recognize his/her mother’s voice. Hair is often present.
Eight months: The body is usually plump. The toenails reach toe tips. The baby can flex his/her limbs and has a firm grasp.
Nine months: Baby is ready for birth.
While it’s true that the baby is inside a woman’s body, that baby is a unique human being, who has no choice. When that baby is aborted, that so called choice is made by the (selfish) mother.
Abortion doesn’t only hurt the baby. It also hurts the woman who is carrying the child. Abortion has effects on the mother’s different relationships, like for example her relationship with her couple, her parents, her other children, future partners, friends, co-workers, etc. Abortion makes a woman propense to self-destructive acts (eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia, some attempt to cut or injure themselves), it can also lead to smoking, substance abuse, and even suicide. Abortion also harms the woman physically. For instance, surgical abortions can damage the uterus or cervix, abortions can also lead to future infertility, later ectopic pregnancy, future miscarriages. Abortion has been associated with higher rates of breast, cervical and ovarian cancer.
Abortion also hurts the economy.
“Fewer people= fewer worker, less goods and services.”
Some pictures, so that you think about the real victims of abortion. Those without the choice.
Thanks for reading. Please follow me on Twitter and sign-up for e-mail updates.
….And leave comments, I love to hear from you!